Hair Loss Forum

Discussions on hair loss, hair treatment, hair restoration and how to stop hair loss.

Do hair loss prevention shampoos really work?

Discussions on varrious other available treatment options for hair loss

Moderator: frank

Do hair loss prevention shampoos really work?

Postby jim » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

If so, what is the effect, just a gradual slowing down of hair loss, or do hairs actually grow back? Or is all a load of nonsense just to make money out of desperate people? :)
jim

Re: Do hair loss prevention shampoos really work?

Postby frank » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:11 am

don't think so.
frank

Postby hairman1970 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:12 pm

Hi,
From what i understand it does not stop hair loss completely, neither does it grow new. But shampoo's like Nioxin do clean the scalp and penetrate into the scalp which can stimulate the hair growth and encourage the hair to grow again without restriction from gels and debris otherwise left on the scalp. This causes sometimes the hair to grow thicker and encourages easier growth. I think one of the online stores sell it at a great price, [No Links Please]
hairman1970

Postby PhillT » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:55 pm

There's no such thing as hair being prevented from growing by "Debris on the scalp", look at ingrowing hairs, they don't stop growing even when they are turned inwards, hair loss is caused by your hair stopping growing, and falling out more often.

The significance of washing your hair is to remove sebum, not because it blocks anything but because it contains high levels of DHT, which is involved in making your hair fall out, so remove the sebum, remove the DHT, reduce the problem.

Nioxin apparently works well, but I use Nanogen's Anti-DHT shampoo as I can get it cheaper. It doesn't make your hair grow again, but it definitely reduces the amount falling out, which I'm content with. Can't post a link but search for Nanogen and I'm sure you'll find it :D
PhillT

Postby Alexander » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:10 pm

Most of our family have very little hair, and between us we've tried quite a few products, and to be honest most do help, but there is not one best product. You use one for a while until it wears off and then switch to another one.

I used Nizoral for a while but got some nasty sides so had to stop it. I then use Schwartzkopf Bonacure which I think possibly made things worse, my brother used Redken which helped for a while and I also used American Crew which was also pretty good.

I'm using a new hair loss shampoo at the moment which is working well (my hair hasn't got any worse for 12 months) which is ProFusion Shampoo and conditioner, which smells coconutty. At the moment this is working for me and has also done my dandruff the world of good in the non-thinning areas!

I buy from Hair Supermarket or but just do a search online.

The thing is, there isn't a "Best product" it is which one works best for you. The other tip is to use more than one product in combination, such as minoxidil foam and ProFusion shampoo or Finasteride and American Crew etc. therefore attacking the problem from two angles.
Alexander

Postby Huynha » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:00 pm

I can't say that hair loss prevention shampoos work for everyone, but I've been using Nioxin System 2 as recommended by my barber and it has helped my scalp and hair.

I've noticed that my hair feels stronger, less oily and hair thinning is slowing down.
Huynha

Postby mania » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:34 am

I would say that not all the hair loss prevention products can help you to prevent hair loss it's depends upon mostly of the nature of hairs
mania

Return to Other Hair Loss Treatments