Hair Loss Forum

Discussions on hair loss, hair treatment, hair restoration and how to stop hair loss.

What are the causes of hair loss and how propecia helps?

Do not hesitate to add your questions to Frequently Asked Questions about Propecia. We will try to provide prompt answers to all your quries here.

Moderator: frank

Re: What are the causes of hair loss and how propecia helps?

Postby dangrvs » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:52 pm

Propecia is for male pattern hair loss treatment, so yes to your answer basically. Propecia can be a help in your case i.e. to treat male pattern hair loss.

The causes of hair loss are not well defined; however, researchers have found that men with male pattern hair loss have increased levels of DHT in the balding area of their scalps. Human hair normally follows a cycle of growth, falling out, and new growth. But increased levels of DHT are believed to contribute to the shortening of the growth phase, and a shortening of the time it takes for the hair to fall out. This results in a thinning of the hair on the scalp.

DHT is one of many male hormones in the body. DHT is developmentally important early in a man’s life; however, it appears to be a cause of hair loss as men get older. DHT shrinks the hair follicle until it no longer produces visible hair.

Finasteride (the active ingredient in PROPECIA) blocks the formation of DHT and, in this way, appears to interrupt a key factor in the development of inherited male pattern hair loss in men. PROPECIA has been proven to effectively lower DHT in the scalp.

Most important, PROPECIA helps grow natural hair, not just "peach fuzz," and is as convenient to take as a vitamin: one pill a day.

PROPECIA begins to block the formation of DHT almost immediately; however, because hair grows slowly, visible results from PROPECIA take some time. In clinical trials, most men began to see the first benefit of PROPECIA — slowing hair loss — as early as 3 months. After 6 months, men may begin to experience regrowth. If PROPECIA does not work within 12 months, further treatment is unlikely to be of benefit.
dangrvs

Postby andyking » Tue May 11, 2010 11:02 am

Medical Scientists believe that MPHL (Male Pattern Hair Loss) is due to two reasons. First is inherited from the either sides of the family. Second is due to biological chemical called a dihydrotestosterone, commonly referred as DHT. DHT is a biological material in the body, which shrinks the hair follicle.

Male pattern hair loss is a widespread situation, where men encounter disappearing of hair on the scalp. This also results in receding hairline or balding on the scalp area of the head. There is a need to find a medicine that stabilizes the overall DHT level and help stop follicles.

I'm 40 and have a hair loss problem since last 5 yrs. I tried many drugs, shampoos, gels and creams and finally Propecia Finasteride worked for me. Generic Propecia contains the active ingredient Finasteride, a type II 5-alpha reductase drug that restricts the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone. It certainly has some side effects. I too had experienced side effect like decreasing sexual desire in the beginning but as my body got used to it slowly, the side effect disappeared.

After year and a half, today I am satisfied with the result.
andyking

Postby propecianow » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:54 am

Propecia can eliminate the need for expensive hair implants and the embarrassment associated with male pattern hair loss. With just one pill a day, Propecia will not only dramatically slow your hair loss, but within 3-6 months hair re-growth can occur! For more information, visit: www.propecianow.net
propecianow

Return to Propecia FAQ