Hair Loss Forum

Discussions on hair loss, hair treatment, hair restoration and how to stop hair loss.

Getting Proscar 5mg private prescription from NHS GP

Propecia UK is a product by Mereck and has been successfuly used for hair loss treatment. Discussions on Propecia, How Propecia works and what was your experience with Propecia.

Moderator: frank

Getting Proscar 5mg private prescription from NHS GP

Postby fernendo » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:27 pm

I recently paid £45 for a months supply of 1mg finasteride from boots online pharmacy. I can afford this but I recently noticed the price difference between Propecia and Proscar is absolutely insane. Proscar costs about 83p for 5mg which can be cut into 4 and used as 4 days treatment.

The monthly cost of Propecia is about £6.30 instead of the £45 I'm currently paying and that is from a genuine popular GMC registered UK pharmacy! I'm not the kind of person who is ripped off or pays over the odds easily.

I went to my GP and asked if I could get a prescription for Proscar 5mg. I understand I have to pay for the medicine I just need a private prescription in order to be able to do so. He said that only a dermatologist could prescribe it and he wasn't sure if an NHS one would. Is this correct as a couple of reputable websites advised that an NHS GP could issue a private prescription. I don't want to end up paying over the odds just because my Dr. misunderstood the rules.

Thanks for your advise.
fernendo

Re: Getting Proscar 5mg private prescription from NHS GP

Postby Finasteride » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:33 pm

Here's my tuppence worth.

I have worked for 3 different Hair Loss Clinics in the UK and the surgeons will nearly always prescribe Finasteride in 5MG Proscar form with a stated dosage of half a tablet every other day.

Patients under 25 are usually advised to begin finasteride medication at least 6 months prior to their procedure.
Similarly patients having crown procedures are usually told the same thing
I am not a doctor but have witnessed the surgeons talking to their patients during transplant procedures literally hundreds of times.

he surgeons do not have any financial interest in the medication itself and write Proscar prescriptions for the cost benefit to the patient.

The surgeons usually advise patients that the finasteride will have little to no effect on the hairline area but is very successful at stopping hair-loss in the crown area as well as thickening up the existing fine white hairs in the mid and front sections. T
The medication is not effective on transplanted hair and is about keeping your existing hair to avoid a second procedure 5 years down the line.

I have personally asked a number of surgeons if finasteride should be used in conjunction with minoxidil and most of them said they did not think there was any point using minoxidil if

In my experience prescriptions are never just rubber-stamped and patients have always been required to attend a consultation with a surgeon or qualified surgical assistant in order to get a 12 month prescription for Proscar.

I do not sell or prescribe finasteride but I supply it to hundreds of patients every year on behalf of Hair Transplant Surgeons and have encountered patients with every conceivable side effect at one time or another.

Last year the company that I work for issued free minoxidil for 6 or 12 months to all transplant patients.
The surgeons did not think it would make any difference to results after 6 and 12 months post transplant and they were absolutely correct.

Patients that took finasteride had consistently better results post-transplant due to thickening of existing hairs

Crown procedures have never produced the kind of results that one can expect from a hairline or front procedure and I have noticed a lot more patients coming through who just have surgery on the front areas and give finasteride a chance to fix the crown.

Dunno if this will help anyone, just thought I'd share
Finasteride

Re: Getting Proscar 5mg private prescription from NHS GP

Postby mania » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:18 am

There are different clinics and they have their set of prices and procedure of hair transplant..
mania

Return to Propecia UK Information